Acetylation of Ferrocene Essay

1728 Words Sep 23rd, 1999 7 Pages
Acetylation of Ferrocene

17. October 1996
Experiment #7

Introduction In this lab we will be utilizing the Friedel Crafts process of acetylation of ferrocene. Ferrocene is an atom of iron bounded by two aromatic rings. We will use some reagents that will cause the ferrocene to add either one acetyl group to an aromatic ring or add two acetyl groups to each of the aromatic rings. In order to determine how well this process had worked we employed: IR spectra analysis, column chromatography, and a little TLC. This experiment is relevant in today's highly industrialized world. By utilizing many of the techniques we employ in this lab, a company can synthesize new types of materials or composites that could revolutionize an industry.
…show more content…
Then we transferred this to a tarred vial and dried off the MeCl in a nitrogen stream. MeCl is a great solvent because it evaporates easily (bp. ca. 48øC). Moreover, we used a nitrogen steam so that we could minimize the amount of moisture in regular air from being reintroduced into the sample. This was our second crude sample and we did a TLC on it with
FC start material. See Tables 1.1 and 1.2 for amount of crude sample obtained and the Rf values. We allowed this to dry over till next weekend; we then performed a CG on this sample. We placed this crude into the CG and then added three mobile solvents to it in order to separate the crude. We used Hexane (non-polar), Ethyl Acetate
(medium polarity) and Methanol (Nice and polar). The sample flowed down the column and into separate tarred vials for each colored material. The first was bright yellow. The second was a deep reddish color. The third was a dark violet. I placed each vial into the N2 stream for concentration and then re- weighed each sample, called F1, F2, F3, respectively, again. The results are presented in table 1.1 at the end of the next section. After yet another class lab on this experiment, I tried to take 5 mg of each sample and place it into
K-Br for IR spectra. However, after waiting till the next period for the IR, hardly any of the materials we present in each vial. This was quite inexplicable. I did manage to get melt-temps, but I was only able to scrape

Related Documents