History and Culture of the People’s Republic of China Essay

1638 Words 7 Pages
The People’s Republic of China is a country with one of the richest cultural backgrounds and the largest population in the world with 1,338,612,968 people. It holds “1/5 of the world’s population” (Banister 2). Located in eastern Asia, it is the fourth largest country with a total area of 9,596,960 sq km and the second largest electricity consumer and exporter after the U.S. The vast amount of natural resources make China one of the leading manufacturers of the worlds products from raw materials such as steel and iron to finished goods as toys, various machinery, textiles and electronics. I choose the People’s Republic of China because I have always been intrigued with the history and culture of the Chinese people. China is incessantly …show more content…
China has the largest population in the world growing at 0.6% per year with a total fertility rate of 1.79 children per women. The current population is more than the total population of Canada doubled and 1/3 of the total population of the world’s developing countries stay in China. Almost all of China (91.5%) is made up Han Chinese, which is the oldest and major ethnic group in China and has been dominant in China since the founding of the Chinese Empire. The remaining 8.5% are made up of minor ethnic groups (such as Tibetan and Manchu) and other nationalities. China has eight major languages, with only two known worldwide: Standard Chinese and Yue otherwise known as Mandarin and Cantonese and several other minority languages. It is important to note that China is NOT a religious country and is officially atheist, though Taoism & Buddhism is practiced and is seen as the major the religion of most of the population. While the remaining 6% population, are either Christian or Muslim with the latter being the minority. Due to the one-child policy and other factors, China has become one of the fastest ageing countries with roughly 8% of the population already living to be 65 years and over. Most of the population (72.1%) is in the 15-64 year cohort with men greatly outnumbering women by a whooping difference of 26,542,802(2009 est.) These two pyramids below show how China’s population was in 1975 and how

Related Documents